[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Nov 13 16:41:52 UTC 2005

G'day geni,

> On 11/13/05, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Better rename all the articles on French towns, people and business in
>>France then, too.
>
> Execept that with the exception of a few big ones they don't really
> have common english names.

No worries.  Anyone here good with Francais?  Let's take a few French
names that can be translated to English and insist on using them.  We
needn't restrict it to towns, either: you know that "Jean" bloke at work
who your secretary keeps daydreaming about?  From now on, call him
"John" and see how he reacts.

How about the reverse?  I noticed, the other day, that a town in the USA
(sorry, "the world") bears the ridiculous name of "Sugar Land, Texas".
I see no reason why fr-WP shouldn't call it "Terre De Sucre".  It is,
after all, the *French* Wikipedia, and Texans should not be allowed to
dictate to them anymore than Ivorians can dictate to us.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"