[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:43:13 UTC 2005

On 11/13/05, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne at gmail.com> wrote:
> And the stupidest thing of all is that there is absolutely no
> technical need to expose peoples IP addressess at all.

I don't believe there are any plans to.  This is all to deal with
users who abuse sockpuppets.  Hence it has only been granted to ArbCom
users, and those who can use it at that.  The only time I can imagine
when a user might have their IP address identified would be if they
used their IP address without signing in to make an edit.  This
appears to me to be consenting to have their IP address exposed.

However, I agree that to allow this tool to all admins (or some other
wide-ranging group that has nothing to do with dispute resolution) is
foolish and should be avoided.

Sam