[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

M. Creidieki Crouch creidieki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 01:43:10 UTC 2005

> Seeing as there hasn't been much public discussion on this (at least on
> the English-language Wikipedia) I thought it would be a good idea to let
> you all know that Raul654, Fred Bauder, Kelly Martin, The Epopt and
> Jayjg have all been granted access to the checkuser tool[1] (the tool
> which allows for checking of sockpuppets by giving access to IP
> addresses, including those of signed-in Wikipedians).

I'm afraid I'm only recently following these policy discussions.  Is
there a publically available log showing which administrators have run
checkuser checks on which users?  The feature seems to be designed for
times when there's a public perception that someone is a sockpuppet,
so I'd imagine that that log wouldn't be a privacy violation on the
people who get checked out.

I've made several "anonymous" posts on various sensitive pages and I
don't like the idea that my IP  records could be checked by an
administrator with little oversight.

-- Creidieki