[WikiEN-l] Re: Policy on including templates in automatic categories

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Nov 11 18:20:01 UTC 2005

> In parallel with this, I'm wondering whether there is a case for
> having more than one "category-like" namespace, so that we can have a
> separate set of "categories" for project-related stuff. [...] It
> would have been nice if we could have had something like
> [[wikipedia-category:articles which survived deletion]] to keep this
>  stuff in.

You know, I don't get why this was never done. Back when categories were
first introduced, I expected this to be an obvious thing. I expected
there to be at least eight new namespaces: 'Category', 'Image category',
'Wikipedia category' and 'User category', plus all their corresponding
Talk namespaces. Now that we also have templates and the help namespace,
there should also be a 'Template category' and a 'Help category'
namespace, along with the relevant Talk namespaces. In fact, templates
may have come before categories -- I forgot.

In fact, I would go even further and contend that images that are used
solely by the Wikipedia namespace should be in a 'Wikipedia image'
namespace which in turn should be categorisable by a 'Wikipedia image
category' namespace, pages within which you can discuss in the
'Wikipedia image category talk' namespace.

The way I'm phrasing it probably sounds like it's getting really silly,
but I mean it quite seriously.