[WikiEN-l] disputing block: 69.108.172.162, lysdexia

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:49:01 UTC 2005

On 08/11/05, Autymn D. C. <lysdexia at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2005, at 09.16, Sean Barrett wrote:
> >> I really need to update my article....
> > No, you don't.  Not only do you not /have/ an article,
> > but you also don't /need/ to update any article.
>
> I didn't say it was about myself, only that it was mine.

Nobody said anything about it being about yourself; what was being
alluded to here is that there is no article ownership on Wikipedia, so
there is no such thing as "your article", only "an article you have
contributed to". That doesn't mean you can't be proud of your work,
but it does mean you have no more claim to or rights over a particular
article than anyone else.

> [...]  My spelling of cinetic is riht, and it
> looks like you've changed it.

The question is, right (or "riht"; was that deliberate?) according to
what authority, other than yourself? More generally, can it really be
true that 100% (or 99.9999%) of English speakers are using English
"wrong"? Or are they simply mistaken in thinking they speak English -
in which case the argument becomes one over who gets to choose what
the word "English" means, the millions of people who communicate in
what they call "English" every day, or the minority of "experts" who
call something else "English" instead.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]