[WikiEN-l] no more PD satellite photos?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Sep 9 15:41:29 UTC 2004

Stephan Walter wrote:

> U.S. government is proposing to exempt satellite images from the
> Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), meaning that it wouldn't have to
> release them to the public.
>
> If this law gets passed, this could be the end of a great source of PD
> satellite images: http://visibleearth.nasa.gov
>
> What do you think? Something we should do? Stockpiling nasa images? Or
> am I just panicking? :-)

There is no need to stockpile PD satellite images.  All that is being
proposed is, as you mentioned, exempting satellite images from the
FOIA.  That would mean that the US government is no longer legally
required to release them in response to requests.  It does not affect
images that have already been released, and does not affect images
voluntarily released by government agencies like NASA.  All it would do
is allow the government to refuse FOIA lawsuits asking for the release
of as-of-yet-unreleased images.

Granted, it's a bad idea, and one I oppose, but it has absolutely no
effect on currently-available images.

-Mark