[WikiEN-l] Please help. please.

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Fri May 30 23:51:10 UTC 2003

At 04:41 PM 5/30/2003, you wrote:

>Hi all look we all know that I can be more than a little abrasive when
>people I dont know come in out of nowhere and accuse me of not knowing my
>facts, or lying about history.  Its one of my weaknesses.  I hope everyone
>also knows that I generally try to be patient and get people to work
>together (even if its in what Mr. Kemp calls teacher mode), asking
>specific questions, giving specific examples, etc.  I hope that my
>positive contributions over the long haul outweigh the negative ones.  If
>thats not what people think, I really should just take off ;-)
>
>The most recent unpleasantness is really weighing on me.  Llywrch e-mailed
>me and asked me to feed no trolls while he tried to get some cooperation,
>and I pretty much have but in the meantime, if you look at the user
>contributions, you will see that really nasty accusations about me and, to
>a lesser extent, and one who has tried to step in, all over the
>site.  They are almost entirely taken out of context or deliberate
>misunderstandings or misquotes.
>
>I also believe that this person has shown up in at least two other guises
>in the past, and had run-ins with, or left comments about me or my
>contributions in each persona almost all repetitions of the old HJ
>controversies, but with a French nationalist flair.  The person is now
>also accusing me of forcing others in some way to join in a persecution,
>and also claims that I regularly try to get people to leave through
>bullying and intimidation (boredom and wordiness perhaps &).  Oddly
>enough, some of the people he seems to be saying I forced outare the very
>people I think are his other personae.
>
>Not only is there a possibility of the troll-like habit of changing
>identities, but I notice that many of the excuses given to others as to
>why he cant get along is because of a cross-cultural language
>problem.  While it is true that he writes these comments in a quaint and
>stilted manner, his tirades (especially those directed against me) are
>amazingly fluid and use lots of polysyllables (apparently, several of us
>cant be understood because our words are complicated its kind of like that
>old SNL skit about the defrosted cave-man).
>
>Anyway, could someone not currently involved (or who has not yet been
>blasted)  PLEASE take a look?  Theres a frightening amount of commentary,
>but I think this person is not in any way aware of how to work with others
>or really interested in participating in a positive manner.  I am not
>using the bword, but if that is already something this user is under (it
>has been suggested hes DW), then its not a problem.  If its not, perhaps
>someone with a Voice of Authority (and in his eyes, the only authority is
>Jimbo, whose wrath he threatens regularly)  could ask him nicely to quit
>his abuse and play nice?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Julie

Now, I'm not saying that I believe this... I certainly wouldn't want anyone
to take this the wrong way and think that I was accusing anyone of anything
or besmirching anyone's good name, but:

Some people seem to think that T may be one and the same as JD, look at the
similarity of some phrases and attitudes, particularly the use of the odd
"somebody called X" or "somebody who calls themselves X" and other similar
phrases. It has also been suggested that T is the same as the
probably-about-to-be-banned V, and that their "conversation" is either
between comrades or an attempt by one individual to confuse things.

Again, I'm not saying that I believe this, draw your own conclusions.

Oh, for the record, there have been certain users lately, no names of
course, who have been attempting to distort the way that the Clovis issue
has gone down. I trust that everyone who is truly interested is going to
read ALL the articles before they jump to conclusions. I'd hate to see
anyone unfairly characterized as a troll.... almost as much as I'd hate to
see a troll unfairly characterized as a legitimate contributer.

-----

Dante Alighieri
dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of great moral crisis."
    -Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321