[WikiEN-l] The principle of fair use

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 05:30:46 UTC 2003

>But I can't understand why this
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image%3A843-870_Europe.jpg
>is fair use. The map has been created for an encyclopedia
>or an history textbook. If this is fair use, is there any
>picture we may not use?

It depends on its source. Many maps designed as teaching aids aren't
copyrighted, for the very good reason that they are copied by teachers
throughout an educational system. Others are issued with the instruction
"for educational use only". If the former, without copyright there would be
no problem in usage. If the latter, one could argue that as wikipedia is
clearly for educational and not commercial usage, it could claim usage.

Looking at the image, I would say it probably predates the 1950s though
whether it predates the 1923 copyright limit is hard to say. The nature of
the colouring and font usage I have seen in 19th century documents and
history books but also in the 1950s. It certainly was not designed on a
computer, unless someone was trying to construct a 'retro' look. So unless
we know the source we cannot say whether it is copyright-free,
copyright-expired or designed exclusively for educational use. The trouble
is this seems first to have appeared on wiki under the dreaded DW. Maybe, as
Camembert and others suspected the obnoxious Jacques was really DW in a
French accent, we should ask Jacques before he goes where he got it. Or on
second thoughts, maybe not. We don't want to give him an excuse to stay!!!

JT