[WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed May 21 11:43:45 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> The only forms of censorship Wikipedia should abide by are those demanded
> by United States law (or the respective local equivalents for the
> international Wikipedias).

I would amend this only in saying that I think international
wikipedians should of course follow the law in their own country --
I'd hate to think of us taking up a collection for a fund to help a
fellow wikipedian in Iran or North Korea who has been imprisoned for
writing an NPOV article on some topic that is suppressed there.

But there is no need for kr.wikipedia.org (Korean wikipedia) to be
concerned, as an institution, for Korean law.

I suppose there might be a difficult decision to be made at some
point, if -- for example -- France tried to block wikipedia because
they didn't approve of something we've published (as in the case of
Yahoo).  Do we follow French law, so as to at least reach the French
with as much NPOV as we can, or do we refuse, and trust the French
people to find a way around the ban?

--Jimbo