[WikiEN-l] Re: vandalism

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun May 18 18:36:29 UTC 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 08:04, koyaanis qatsi wrote:
> Erik writes:
> >I think we're still talking past each other.
> > Banned IP addresses can login, but they
> > cannot edit, even if they're logged in. The
> > IP address of the user in question (Stick)
> > is not banned.
>
> Yes.  We're talking past each other.  What I'm saying
> is that a banned IP that tries to access the "login"
> page, regardless of whether it's logged in already,
> could be served a 404.  This could prevent people like
> Michael or yesterday's vandal from coming back with
> several different usernames.  Again, I'm not sure if
> this is a good or bad idea--there may be other, bad
> results as well.

I'm not sure what the benefit of that would be. IP bans affect the IP even if
edits coming from that IP are logged in, so they couldn't edit if they were
coming from a banned IP. If they come back with a different IP, there's
nothing we can do about it anyway with an IP ban.

Are you just suggesting we make "vandals" think that the wiki is "broken" so
they'll go away?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)