[WikiEN-l] New domain for censored content?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun May 18 06:37:39 UTC 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 13:09, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
> I propose a new domain, set up like an international
> Wikipedia, uncensored.wikipedia.org, to contain all
> questionable material - pages France doesn't like,
> pages China doesn't like, pages filtering software
> doesn't like, etc.

Absolutely not, never, no way, no how. If you'd like to set up your own
Censorpedia.org which includes all completely-non-"offensive" content from
Wikipedia, be our guest. I don't think you'll have more than about 50 pages,
though. :)

Seriously, if your school's anti-knowledge policy is that draconian, they
probably would be horrified at the very *idea* of Wikipedia and would block
it as dangerous -- since anyone can edit it, clearly there will be sexual
predators trying to find children. :P

Complain to the school board about their illegal prior restraint censorship.
Find some respectable adults who actually care about education (not just
keeping kids intellectually isolated and "safe" until they turn 18) and
convince them to run for school board next election.

See also http://www.peacefire.org/

> On a side note, do we actually need to upload pictures
> to every Wikipedia, or can we save disk space by,

Disk space is not the issue so much, just the time & effort factor of
copy-upload-copy-upload-copy-upload. See discussion at
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia and elsewhere.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)