[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun May 18 03:06:00 UTC 2003

Zoe-
> I find this a ridiculous stance.  Are we required to
> put EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE on the votes for deletion
> page, and then wait a week and for some other use to
> delete them?

No. However, in case of copyright infringements, we try to follow the
policy of putting a boilerplate text on the page first:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3ABoilerplate_text
(search for "copyright infringement")

In these cases, the page should also be added to VfD. This is done so that
the user gets an opportunity to clarify whether this was really done
without permission, or whether the text is actually his. If a user has a
history of such violations and has made no effort to resolve them, this
step may be considered unnecessary.

It's a bit tedious (I suggest bookmarking the boilerplate page), but there
have been plenty of cases where anonymous users have added stuff from
their own homepages, so I think it's still a useful procedure to follow.
Also, the above text is fairly courteous and non-confrontational.

Regards,

Erik