[WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy

cprompt cprompt at tmbg.org
Fri May 16 14:06:06 UTC 2003

John R. Owens wrote:

>On Fri, 16 May 2003, Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:
>

>>Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 05:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com>
>>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy
>>
>>--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

>>>perspective,

>>>category

>>>Each category has its own range for what is
>>>objectionable.  "Sexually
>>>explicit" runs from suggestive almost nudity to
>>>goatse.cx.  Others might
>>>find the extreme views of "creation science" and
>>>"holocaust denial" to
>>>be just as objectionable.
>>>
>>>Ec
>>>

>>Creation science and holocaust denial are
>>objectionable, but they are presented as opinion, not
>>fact. That is the main difference. You cant make an
>>NPOV photograph.
>>
>>--LittleDan
>>

>So, umm, just what opinions does a photograph have? As long as they aren't
>doctored or staged, photographs are about as NPOV as it gets around here.
>You _can_ make a POV photograph, but you have to try.
>The inclusion or not is where the POV usually starts to creep in. And it
>seems to be trying to do so now.

The [[Rachel Corrie]] article had POV problems resulting from the
inclusion or exclusion of a certain type of photo, or a certain quanitty
of photos. Also, some of the photos were misleading. In one, Rachel was
standing in front of the bulldozer in plain site of the person operating
it. However, the question arises at what time was it? If it was "moments
before her death" as some argued, then the person operating the
bulldozer knew she was there. Otherwise, she may have not been visible
at the time of her death. I don't want to dredge all of this up again,
but photos, maps, and diagrams can be just as POV as statistics and quotes.