[WikiEN-l] How do I use my newfound powers, and not abuse them?

Richard Grevers lists at dramatic.co.nz
Thu May 15 20:12:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 14:26:53 -0400, steven l. rubenstein
<rubenste at ohiou.edu> gave utterance to the following:

> 64.163.22.53 has been vandalizing French Revolution.  At what point
> should I block the user?  I understand that this number IDs a computer,
> not a person, and non-vandals may use this computer.  Can someone give me
> the basic policy?

A tool like samspade ( http://www.samspade.org ) can provide more data on
which to base a decision: Performing an IP-block search on that IP results
in:

Pac Bell Internet Services PBI-NET-8 (NET-64-160-0-0-1) 64.160.0.0 -
64.175.255.255
The Charter School of San Diego SBCIS-100920-135815 (NET-64-163-22-0-1)
64.163.22.0 - 64.163.22.255

In which case the chances of that 1 computer being one person's are slim.
But it is highly likely that the computer has a permanent connection and
will retain its IP. (Banning a dialup user is like catching water in a
seive - they will be assigned a new IP every time they connect)
In this case, a scenario of one or more kids thinking this is a cool trick
seems likely, and a ban ought to be effective. If they are in a computer
lab, we probably just need to watch the adjacent IP's.
--
Richard Grevers
Two most common elements in the universe: Hydrogen & Stupidity.