[WikiEN-l] I have apoligized

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 14 06:53:00 UTC 2003

Adam ..
> It is true that I violated my ban, first with one account and then another,
> but during all that time and all those thousands and thousands and thousands
> of edits, did I ever vandalize an article? Did I ever swear at anybody? In
> all those thousands of edits, did I ever do anything wrong besides being me,
> admitting to being me, writing on topics which only I have been working on,
> and use an identifiable OS/browser/IP?

Well, "being you" was not so much of a problem. Why did you misrepresent
yourself in the first place? Jimbo was always open for discussions, and so
were other members of this list. Heck, even I have emailed you a couple of
times. But no, you had to create "Vera Cruz" and "Susan Mason" to get back
in. Why? For what other reason than to avoid dealing with the conflicts
that were, in large part, caused by you?

The ironic part is that this, of all things, harmed your case more than
anything else you've done: After it was conclusively proven that you were
Vera Cruz, Jimbo declared that it was unlikely for you to get back in;
further, your appearance under multiple identities led users to speculate
that every petty vandal, every anonymous POV edit was yet another
incarnation of yourself. Had you not chosen to play that game in the first
place, such suspicions would never have arisen. You can't blame this
identity nonsense on nicotine addiction, you can't blame it on Zoe, it was
your choice, and I haven't seen an apology for it.

There were other things. You have been asked repeatedly to use the preview
function. I even hacked in a "Preview on top" feature because you asked me
to. Still, you continued to save your articles every second, causing
dozens of changes for just one edit. Example from a random article you
worked on:

# (cur) (last) . . M 08:15 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:53 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:49 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:46 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:45 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:43 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:42 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:41 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz
# (cur) (last) . . M 07:40 Feb 3, 2003 . . Vera Cruz

Doing these kind of things initially can be forgiven. When people are
stubborn and refuse to listen to arguments, cause others trouble for their
own minor convenience, then we're getting into the territory where people
start getting annoyed. Again, for these kind of things you never
apologized -- instead it was the software that was at fault, or other
people who were not listening to your problems.

People have reached out to you. I have given you a long list of things
that you need to do to start working on Wikipedia again. It is only now
that I see you beginning to do these things. It's good that you are using
your real name, that's a start, so we don't have to play "guess Lir's
gender" anymore. I don't care particularly for a comprehensive apology,
but I would support your application for official re-entrance if you
pledged to abide by the following:

1) Use a single identity and stick to it.

2) Find a solution for your 40000 edits per page problem. I don't care if
you write your texts in a text editor, if you use preview or whatever -
just don't clutter the database, article history and recent changes with
needless noise.

3) Be nice to other contributors. That does not just mean "no swearing",
but also avoiding snappy remarks, acknowledging other people's
contributions and trying to work cooperatively. Wikilove, Wikiquette,
whatever you want to call it.

Three simple conditions, no? I am sure others have more complaints, but
Jimbo is a relaxed person. If you behave properly, he will probably let
you back in.

I do wonder why you care so much about Wikipedia, though. You would
probably be a high level noder on Everything2 by now ..

Regards,

Erik