[WikiEN-l] forgiveness of bans

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 14 03:09:00 UTC 2003

Martin,

in principle, I am not opposed to making bans temporary and have suggested
doing so in the past. However, in cases where a user continues to be
obnoxious by creating fake accounts, sending nasty letters etc. *during
the ban*, I would think that the ban should not be lifted without an
apology and a promise to improve the behavior. Furthermore, the criteria
for re-banning a user who has been let back in after a ban has expired
should be less rigid (it is extremely hard to get a signed in user
banned); they should instead be considered "on probation".

In the case of Lir and DW at least, I would expect a public apology and an
admission of what they have done ("I have created the following fake
accounts: ...") before letting them back in, and I think we should be
reluctant even then. The handful of people out of 10000 who have been
banned over the last 2 years are not exactly models of social behavior or
good candidates for rehabilitation.

Regards,

Erik