[WikiEN-l] problems making changes

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 13 08:50:32 UTC 2003

steven l. rubenstein wrote:

> I have been having some problems that I do not understand -- I assume
> some people here are more experienced and knowledgeable about the
> technical workings of Wikipedia to figure it out.
>
> I recently made an addition to the Supernaturalization talk page.  I
> also made a comment on the Supernatural talk page.  When I looked at
> my own "user contribution" page, next to the list of these most recent
> contributions was the word "rollback."
>
> I went back to the articles and as "most recent changes" it had a
> deletion of the comments I added, and the user credited for the
> deletion was me, with the comments "reverted to last edit by
> Jackerie27" and "reverted to last edit by Mkmcconn.
>
> I did not make these changes that are being ascribed to me, and I hope
> no one else is reverting them.  It certainly seems strange that what I
> add to pages now seems to be deleted automatically, and I am being
> labeled the deleter.  Is HAL 9000 acting up again?

I've had a couple of strange problems come up recently too

1. In editing the [[republic]] article I chose to split out a small note
about Republic Aviation Company to its own stub.  When I put the
material I put the name of the company in bold.  When I saved I received
the message about there being no text on that page.  In edit mode the
text popped bnck up.  I added the word "The" at the beginning of the
article, and it saved just find.  Apparently the system was in its own
way rejecting an article that began with three apostrophes.

2. While doing some editing in Wiktionary moving one of the Intelingua
index articles I created a non-eixtent article.  It appears that when  I
moved the article I inadvertently entered a blank space at the beginning
of the article.  See Fonzy's talk page on Wiktionary for more details.

As for Steve's wanting to take on Lir's name, or being mistaken for him,
it is worth noting that "lir" and "slr" already have two letters in
common in their names.  He's 2/3 of the way there! :-)

Ec