[WikiEN-l] Conventions and movie vs. film

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon May 5 12:28:20 UTC 2003

james duffy wrote:
> The point I was making is that it is American arrogance in the
> extreme to think - ' we use the word 'movie' therefore wikipedia
> must use the word 'movie' and any references to the word film we
> will replace with the 'right' (ie American) word'.

If anyone actually held that opinion, it would indeed be American
arrogance in the extreme.  But I don't see any evidence that anyone
here has said or implied anything of the sort.

I'm actually personally leaning towards 'film', but I don't see any
reason to think that 'movie' is a horrible choice that insults the
world.

Let's cut each other some slack.  :-)

--Jimbo