[WikiEN-l] The "Young and Innocent" page

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri May 2 10:56:38 UTC 2003

Jason Williams wrote:

>Of course; since it's quite obviously subjective I assumed people
>would assume that I was stating it as such :-)  I wasn't trying
>to argue for wholesale replacement of "movie" by "film", just the
>same admirable agnosticism that is applied across the rest of
>the wikipedia.

I generally agree with you that Wikipedia should be agnostic
about matters of style like whether things are "movies" or "films".
(That's why I'm horrified at the growth of the Manual of Style.)
But we have to draw the line when it comes to article *names*,
so that linking will go smoothly.  Naming conventions
often must make arbitrary stylistic choices, but that's OK,
since it's only for article names, not for every item of text.

BTW, this issue is moot as far as [[Young and Innocent]] is concerned,
since in fact it is *not* the title of a Hemingway novel after all;
thus, no disambiguation (nor deletion) is needed in this particular case.

-- Toby