[WikiEN-l] The "Young and Innocent" page

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 1 16:33:38 UTC 2003

Jason Williams wrote:

>On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 06:10:39AM -0700, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>>Jason Williams wrote:
>>
>>>Why is it so? Why is the principle that American and British English
>>>have equal status abandoned here? Why is the ugly "movie" explicitly
>>>preferred over the perfectly good "film"?
>>>
>>That "movie" is ugly is a pretty ad hoc aesthetic judgment, don't you
>>think?
>>

>Of course; since it's quite obviously subjective I assumed people
>would assume that I was stating it as such :-)  I wasn't trying
>to argue for wholesale replacement of "movie" by "film", just the
>same admirable agnosticism that is applied across the rest of
>the wikipedia.
>
>>At any rate, perhaps there was a discussion somewhere about this?
>>

>I expect so, but I couldn't find it by googling the mailing list
>archives and there isn't a Talk page corresponding with
>[[Wikipedia:Naming conventions (movies)]].

I was an active participant in that discussion in March 2002.  Its
apparently factored remnants are at [[Talk:Film]], but it seems to me
that it also went on across several talk pages.  I've never considered
this debate as an American vs. British English sort of issue.  As a
supporter of "movie", then as now, I obviously don't consider "movie" to
be ugly.  I am of course pleased that (movie) has become our standard
disambiguating term, but even here I recognize that most Wikipedia rules
are subject to change.  As things stand "movie" has developed
considerable inertia, and making the change over such a large array of
articles could be very confusing.  Making the disambiguating term
optional doesn't seem very attractive.

Eclecticology