[WikiEN-l] Turks and Kurds

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Mar 17 14:28:45 UTC 2003

Steve,

It's the TITLE that needs changing, i.e., the NAME of the topic.

The topic is not the point of view. The territory is not the map.

I suggest:
* leave the raw notes on Metawikipedia or on someone's Wikipedia talk page
* create an article with a bland name like [[Violence against Kurds]].

Didn't we settle the article names for Middle-eastern violence with article titles like [[Israeli attacks on Arabs]] or [[Terrorism against Israel]]?

The point is: we need to find a NAME for the topic with does not *in itself* present a point of view about the topic.

For example, the US "invaded" Afghanistan a couple of years ago. Whether that invasion was IN FACT an "attack" on a sovereign state is a debatable point. So the article was renamed "US invasion of Afghanistan".

Why? Because everyone, regardless of their POV, could agree that US forces did "invade", i.e., enter the borders without permission. When Saudi Arabia allowed US forces to use bases on their territory, no one said the US "invaded" Saudi Arabia.

The "US invasion of Afghanistan" article did discuss the legality or illegality on the invasion of Afghanistan, without coming to any conclusion that would justify the Wikipedia calling it an "attack on Afghanistan".

Please, Zoe, Steve, et al., let's try to find neutral-sounding names for articles.

Uncle Ed