[WikiEN-l] Things that bother me

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Sun Jan 19 13:09:45 UTC 2003

<rambling>

100.000 articles
Will we have 100.000 articles in a few days? This depends on wether we
do have *any* articles (like a magazine or newspaper) or entries (like
an encyclopedia). I think the number itself is not the point. Stubs?
Yes, we do have stubs. So what? Any encyclopedia has them. Opened one
lately? I just went to my bookshelf and opened one of the "Brockhaus"
(big German quality encyclopedia) volumes at a random page, and guess
what I found?
We're not saying "we have 100.000 complete, detailed, perfect,
bullet-proof articles", we say "we have 100.000 articles". We even link
directly to our definition of "article".

Vera Cruz
Well, I never had any quarrel with him/her/it. I noticed some strange
activity on Recent Chages, but that was it.
On the other hand, I *am* tempted to ban "Vera Cruz" just to reduce the
amount of incoming mails.
If it's Lir (prove!), or harming the 'pedia (subtle or not), I say get
rid of it.

Images
After DW told me some weeks ago in a rather commanding tone that some
images I uploaded were too large and to dark (images that I had already
downsized, filtered and dust-removed), and started to replace them with
tiny thumbs, I found myself rather displeased with the current image
handling, both by software and by people. Did anyone notice that lots of
our images have no source or PD explanation given? That we have
double/triple images of the same thing/person? That there are "x.jpg",
"x (small).jpg", "x (large).jpg", etc. and no handling of the different
sizes?

Consensus
Great thing. We talk about the different options, argue a little, and
finally agree on the way to go.
Except we don't.
Anyone know a country or big company that is successfully run by
consensus? I don't.
Dictatorship or voting. Pick one.

</rambling>

That's it for today ;-)