[WikiEN-l] Clutch is on a POV tirade

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Dec 9 15:39:59 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:40:20PM +0000, tarquin wrote:
>Jason Williams wrote:
>

>>Consensus and niceness are good things, but contention and
>>argument drive the wheel faster and produce more comprehensive
>>results.
>>

>You've been watching too much Babylon 5.
>I'm with the Vorlons -- conflict may promote growth, but it's not a
>healthy way to do so.
>
>The social workers I have encountered have been idiots, not pathological
>liars. I've found it's the structure they work within (and their
>pen-pusher mentality which means they can *never* look outside of it)
>which has caused me problems in the past.
>If we want to criticize social workers, we need evidence, like specific
>cases -- and we also need to present the wider picture.

Here is one specific "case"... it's a small and trivial one as far as
these things go, but telling.  It is my most recent experience; my
earlier, more horrific experiences aren't described on this page because
it would take too much time to write up.

    http://reactor-core.org/~djw/diary-arc/20021129072842.html

Want to hear the case of how a social worker in the state of Oregon aided
and abetted a pedophile porn ring run by one of the state approved foster
parents, and got away with it for more than 5 years?  The step-mom of
one of the victims, a 6 year old girl, write up her experience.

    http://reactor-core.org/security/weidner-method.html

Then there are all the personal anecdotes.  When you are poor, you tend
to hang out with other poor people.  And we talk to each other.  And
everyone has stories about themselves, or about family members, friends,
or coworkers who have been jerked around and abused by social workers.

One such personal story: friend of mine was told by the social workers
that if he and the wife wanted a night or a weekend off, there was a
sort of transition house where they could leave the kids to be baby-sat
for a while.  He decided to try it out one weekend.  That night the
house called him and told him to bring his son home.  It turned out that
a 9 year old girl with Downs syndrome had sexually molested this 4 year
old boy, and he was "acting up" as a response.  But noone at the house
would listen to the boy, nor did the social worker take any action on
the matter.

And theres plenty more where that came from.  Shall I continue?

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2