[WikiEN-l] Administrative Request: (was: ????????8?????7.5?)

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 05:49:57 UTC 2002

--- "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:
> Did anybody else receive an HTML advertising page
> with lots of Chinese writing, images and a
> Macromedia Flash thing?

yes

> I don't think it came from a signed-up contributor
> -- or even an anonymous Wikipedian. Rather, it seems
> an abuse of the e-mail list.

yes

> My question is what you all would like me do about
> things like this. As your list administrator, I am
> happy to serve. But as AxelBoldt reminded me last
> month, I am not a "Moderator" and thus do not set
> policy.
>
> Alternatives:
> * Do nothing (it may have been a fluke)
> * Ban myisking01 at sina.com (the address that sent the
> advertisement)
> * Other (please specify)

In my highest magnanimity, on the fr.list, I

* have a temporary block on any mail bigger than xx,
posted by an anonymous...
* when such a message is received, I consider its
interest in the view of the object of the list
* if it can be of any interest (even from an
anonymous), I post it
* if not, I flush it, but I send a message to the
author stating it is a private list etc... (to avoid
losing so who made a mistake)

I did not ask anybody's feeling about that, cause I
don't see any diffence in this behaviour, with what I
do when anybody post anything inappropriate on the
wikipedia.

If not relevant, and clearly abuse, I flush
If not relevant, but likely to be a mistake, I flush
and put a message in the discussion page.