[Toolserver-l] mysql woes

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 01:14:00 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> if there's some amazing advantage to compiling all my code for 64
> bits, please feel free to convince me.  In private email.  I think it
> more likely that I'm just being dumb.

I thought the default on slowarse was to compile for 32bit on x86-64.

Odd.. anyways, most of the time the performance advantage isn't large
(much is lost due to the cost of dealing with larger pointers) but for
some usage patterns the extra registers (and vastly cheaper syscalls
on linux) do make a rather striking difference.

Generally running a mixed system is a pain because of the differing
ABI causing a need for two versions of every library.