[teampractices] Empathy vs compassion, when helping others

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 24 19:12:13 UTC 2017

> I think the two sources differ in who they’re targeting - Klimecki is
> concerned with the giver of empathy and how it affects them, while Brené
> talks about the recipient of empathy and what hearing “Me too” vs. “At
> least you…” does to them.

Thanks, Natalia. I like the way you framed and clarified this. :)

I think I've been approaching this more from a decision-making perspective
than anything else. Paul Bloom (an admittedly controversial writer who
claims to be "anti-empathy" and writes a lot of political stuff that I'll
let you find yourselves rather than posting here) writes about the risks of
making decisions if one is enmeshed in the bias that comes from absorbing
and internalizing others' emotions. Additionally, he talks about the fact
that it's much harder to empathize with a group of people than it is with 1
or 2 individuals, so, in the event of leveraging empathy to help make
decisions in a group, the decision-maker may find themselves inadvertently
hindered by emotional bias that doesn't necessarily represent everyone.

I've no doubt that empathy is A) an inevitable part of reality we all
encounter and express, B) useful for a myriad of engagements, including
supporting individuals emotionally when they are coping with something, and
C) a valuable way to learn/experience/grow for oneself. I'm wary, however,
of using empathy in language directed at decision making, such as team or
organizational values.

And as Kevin alluded to, the language of all these words (sympathy,
compassion, etc) can be confusing and inconsistent. I think the way I've
interpreted the "anti-empathy" statements is that, when helping others by
making decisions, especially groups, it's important to use as much
objectivity as possible, in part to avoid bias and burnout.

Another way to think about it might be similar to the excellent
presentation you gave TPG a while back, on Low-Context vs High-Context
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-_and_low-context_cultures>
situations/scenarios/relationships. Could empathy be inherently
High-Context?