[teampractices] HBR article on annual perf evaluations that mentions Agile Manifesto

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Sat Sep 24 00:01:33 UTC 2016

Thanks for sharing this, Grace. I had read a much shorter article a couple
months ago, and it was interesting to dive in deeper.

For better or worse, a lot of the companies seem to be going for a
quarterly cadence, rather than annual.

This factoid warmed my heart:
2012

Adobe ended annual performance reviews, in keeping with the famous “Agile
Manifesto” and the notion that annual targets were irrelevant to the way
its business operated.

I think performance reviews do serve multiple purposes. As frustrating as
they are, I wouldn't want to drop them without putting other systems in
place to get the benefits. Shifting from annual to quarterly seems like a
good incremental step.

Thank goodness the wave of "forced rankings" seems to be behind us. That's
where you have to grade everyone on a curve, and the people at the bottom,
no matter how good or bad they are, must leave. If you want a sure-fire way
to kill teamwork, it's perfect.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation