[teampractices] Article on prioritizing bugs

Grace Gellerman ggellerman at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 15 21:37:53 UTC 2016

Thanks, Max and Kevin!

+1 to Kevin's idea:  "Along with paying down  tech debt, I would personally
like to see us focus more on fixing what we already have, before moving on
to create new shiny (and buggy) features."

Also, I think that the article might be using "priority" to also describe
"severity."

​I think of p
riority
​a​
s business impact while
​s​
everity is customer impact.
​
While high severity bugs will likely be high priority, they aren't always.

That's because s​everity is pretty easy to determine- it's absolute and
won't change over time.  Priority, on the other hand, might change.

As a QA Manager once explained to me, if you have termites​, that is
probably high severity and high priority. If you then discover that there
is a snake in the house, that is also likely to be high severity and even
higher priority than the termites.

So severity is an input to priority, and priority is relative while
severity is absolute.