[teampractices] Article on prioritizing bugs

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 15 17:50:26 UTC 2016

Thanks for sharing this, Max. I like the general idea from the article, and
especially that pretty table. I also very much appreciate that the author
recognized that sometimes even cosmetic issues that only affect some users
deserve a high priority, because they are so embarrassing. For example, if
we misspelled "wikipedia" somewhere, that might be worth fixing asap.

Before reading the article, I found myself triggered by the concept of
prioritizing bugs at all. I believe that any small bug, even a cosmetic
one, could be hiding some deeper, scarier bug. So I'm a fan of the "broken
windows" theory[1] which recommends fixing all the little things as they
pop up. Along with paying down  tech debt, I would personally like to see
us focus more on fixing what we already have, before moving on to create
new shiny (and buggy) features.

[1] https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-broken-window-theory/

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation