[teampractices] Retrospectives: Getting deep and personal

David Strine dstrine at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 8 17:31:47 UTC 2016

The book "Agile Retrospectives" by Esther Derby and Diana Larsen has a
section on managing group dynamics and a description of the "Mad, Sad,
Glad" format. I also found an online example here [1].

I've found that if you get a team to name emotions that occurred around the
mechanical/factual feedback you can get a glimpse into the interpersonal
issues. The emotional statements open the door for you to dig deeper ask
pointed questions.

[1]
https://www.retrium.com/resources/techniques/mad-sad-glad