[teampractices] Code review social norms

Gergo Tisza gtisza at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 18 01:08:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Kevin Smith <ksmith at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'm curious what the inherent benefit is of having multiple people
> collaborate on a patch, as opposed to having a series of patches by
> different people, each of which advances the product incrementally.

I don't think there is a benefit in general (especially with gerrit's
terrible collaboration support - no "edit conflict" detection and very hard
to get useful diffs), but some large changes simply cannot be broken up
into independent small ones due to circular dependencies, unless you want
to leave the code in a broken state between commits (in which case you lose
most of the advantage you would get from breaking up the change).