[teampractices] IT projects almost as prone to overruns as the Olympics

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Tue Aug 16 15:20:02 UTC 2016

The Olympics, unlike most of the other types of mega-projects, have a hard
deadline. They can cut quality in some ways, but they can't run late.

So (presumably) 100% of Olympic projects have hit their date, and I doubt
any other type of mega-project is anywhere near that. (I wonder if ANY
other modern mega-projects have come in on time.) Presumably hitting that
date adds to the expenses, and especially to unplanned expenses as one
delay leads to another.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation