[teampractices] 2 interesting articles about design

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 8 20:21:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
<nwilson at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Max Binder <mbinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> Interesting. I've always read that Sans Serif was better for screens, and
>> Serif was better for paper, but I'd buy that that was based on old-screen
>> protocol. The real question is, do you want to be that person who has the
>> funky font in Gmail? (I also wonder what the benefit is if the default is
>> Sans Serif and there are only a small percentage of folks using an
>> alternative font. Is it disruptive?)
>
> These are my concerns, too.
> I do find it distracting to have fonts change between messages,
> particularly because Georgia seems to be slightly smaller (fuzzier?)
> in appearance than my "sans-serif" default (on a newish LED monitor):
> http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9754/8s7MBH.png
> I try to use unformatted plaintext (non-HTML) whenever possible, and
> minimal/default HTML styling when that is needed or helpful. That way
> the recipient can (I hope) style it however they prefer, with minimal
> difficulty.

Emailing HTML pages was the worst idea that anyone ever came up with.
(/me blames outlook.) Please just send plaintext emails. If you need
fonts, colors, and embedded images to get your point across you
probably want to make a wiki page and send a link to it.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA