[teampractices] 2 interesting articles about design

Nick Wilson (Quiddity) nwilson at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 8 19:23:31 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Max Binder <mbinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Interesting. I've always read that Sans Serif was better for screens, and
> Serif was better for paper, but I'd buy that that was based on old-screen
> protocol. The real question is, do you want to be that person who has the
> funky font in Gmail? (I also wonder what the benefit is if the default is
> Sans Serif and there are only a small percentage of folks using an
> alternative font. Is it disruptive?)

These are my concerns, too.
I do find it distracting to have fonts change between messages,
particularly because Georgia seems to be slightly smaller (fuzzier?)
in appearance than my "sans-serif" default (on a newish LED monitor):
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9754/8s7MBH.png
I try to use unformatted plaintext (non-HTML) whenever possible, and
minimal/default HTML styling when that is needed or helpful. That way
the recipient can (I hope) style it however they prefer, with minimal
difficulty.