[teampractices] [FYI] Annual review cadence

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 8 20:21:04 UTC 2016

Recently, we have had some conversations within TPG about the pros and cons
of annual (and quarterly) review cycles. We have also experimented a bit
with a system that allows us to give weekly peer feedback to each other.

Over the weekend, I ran into an article which describes how GE (General
Electric) is abandoning annual employee reviews[1]. This article is short
on details, but does have a couple links to articles that might have more
information (I haven't full explored them yet). The summary, and the reason
I'm posting here, is this paragraph:

We’re trying to end anything that was annual or quarterly and make
everything more real-time. We wanted to make the feedback process more like
how we give each other advice in the real world. Instead of an annual
review, we have an app PD @ GE where our people are getting continuous
insights from their colleagues that they can use to get better every day.

[1]
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-ge-giving-up-employee-ratings-abandoning-annual-reviews-immelt?trk=eml-b2_content_ecosystem_digest-hero-14-null

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation