[teampractices] The Costs of Accountability

Dan Duvall dduvall at wikimedia.org
Sat Sep 12 01:05:15 UTC 2015

What an insightful and comprehensive article. Thanks for sharing, Arthur.

My Friday evening brain can't accommodate anything coherent to say on this
topic at the moment, but I look forward to reviewing and taking part in the
ensuing discussion on Monday. :)

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Something for your weekend reading - an excellent and thought-provoking
> read exploring the costs and potential dangers of 'metrics mania'. This was
> shared with me by Anna Stillwell, a thought partner with whom I often
> exchange stuff like this.
>
> There is no question that metrics can be incredibly valuable when they
> measure the right thing and can be reasonable proxies for demonstrating
> value. But sometimes, this article argues often, it goes too far, leading
> us to focus on the wrong things - to lose sight of the most important work
> simply because we don't know how (or can't) measure it.
>
> Definitely worth a read and discussion:
>
> http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/08/03/the-costs-of-accountability/
>
> --
> Arthur Richards