[teampractices] Why are WMF Department/team pages on mediawiki.org?

Alex Monk amonk at wikimedia.org
Fri May 22 16:41:29 UTC 2015

On 22 May 2015 at 17:12, Kevin Smith <ksmith at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Restricted access on mwfoundation is a pretty good argument for not going
> there.

This sort of term ('mwfoundation') is part of the problem. There are
distinctions between MediaWiki (the generic wiki software), Wikimedia
(largest - but not only - MediaWiki developer and user, and also
development/site infrastructure host of MediaWiki) and the Wikimedia
Foundation (employs most of the main MediaWiki developers). I suppose some
people either aren't aware of this, or haven't thought it through, but it's
still important. wikimediafoundation.org is referred to as 'foundationwiki'
in the configuration. Unfortunately that site is a fishbowl at least
partially due to the fact it allows raw HTML.

> I was putting myself in the shoes of a non-foundation mediawiki developer.
> Certainly I would care about Cirrus Search, but would I care about maps?
> Would I care about the TPG? And, in fact, we have had pushback when naming
> our new department pages in mediawiki. Both Editing[1] and Search &
> Discovery[2] have been criticized in their Discussion pages. Reading[3]
> doesn't have complaints yet, but is newer. That was what triggered my
> thought that foundation/Editing makes a lot of sense, where
> mediawiki/Editing might not.

As someone who originally came to MediaWiki development (and eventually the
Wikimedia Foundation) through administrating a non-Wikimedia wiki, thank
you. The complaints about those page titles are valid and I think we should
move them to 'Wikimedia <previous title>' names.