[teampractices] Grooming: ongoing and asynchronous

Dan Garry dgarry at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 17 22:59:56 UTC 2015

On 17 June 2015 at 15:52, Kevin Smith <ksmith at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Thanks Dan! Can you say more?
>
> In that case, you had a product backlog project that spanned multiple
> sub-teams, and had a column for each. Are you saying that the tech leads
> would pull items from "To Triage" into their column, and also move items up
> and down within their own sub-team column?

There were two separate backlogs for both apps. So, there was a "to triage"
column, and the columns like "product backlog", "bug backlog", "technical
backlog".

Tech leads would do a quick pass triage of incoming issues, and if they
were small product decisions, often make the product decision themselves
and move the task to the appropriate column based on their triage. Urgent
bugs would get pulled in to the current sprint, and they would inform me
they were working on them. If the issue was too big in scope, they would
leave the issue in the triage column, so that we could review it as a team
in our triage meetings.

Examples of small product decisions include things like "I think the items
in this menu should be reordered" or "The text on this button should be
different".

> Did they communicate what they had done, or did you just notice it next
> time you looked at that column?

I was automatically subscribed to all tickets that related to the mobile
apps, so I saw them that way.

> Could you estimate how much of the grooming was performed that way?

It's hard to say, but my handwavey estimate is that around 10% to 20% of
tickets were handled this way. The rest was handled synchronously in our
triage sessions.

Thanks,
Dan

--