[teampractices] Tracking team member calendars?

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 3 22:19:04 UTC 2015

I have just now posted a question on the talk page of
https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Office_IT/Calendars to ask who actually
uses the WMF Sick/Vacation calendar, and whether it should be
decommissioned.

Pretending to schedule a meeting is a viable way to determine if one person
is in or out. It falls apart when you are curious about 5+ people. Is it
possible to set up group aliases in google calendar, allowing you quickly
set up a meeting with a certain 10 people?

Another option is adding everyone's calendar to your own, and then
checking/unchecking them to overlay their availability. That is also fine
for a person or two, but pretty painful with a dozen people.

But asking people to update both their own calendar and a team (or WMF)
calendar is asking for the two to be out of sync. As any programmer knows,
not having a single authoritative source of information is error prone.

I see problems, and I see solutions that cause other problems. I don't yet
see a panacea.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach
Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Help us make it a reality.*