[teampractices] "Roadmap" project in Phabricator

James Forrester jforrester at wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 21 23:14:35 UTC 2015

On 20 February 2015 at 17:54, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM, James Forrester
> <jforrester at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Also, the VisualEditor roadmap explicitly doesn't use dates, as it cover
>
> speculative ideas of several person-decades worth of work that may never
> > happen. I'm not sure where we'd put things like that, even if (per
> Gilles)
> > we show a board based on quarters.
>
> A longer term roadmap represents a best guess that may be revised. We
> still have a quarterly business rhythm and will continually change our
> mind about what's important or what's achievable. But if we have
> speculative epics that we can reasonably add to July-September or
> October-December, we would do so. This would also get rid of the
> fiscal year crap almost by accident. ;-)
>
> I'd suggest using month-to-month for the current quarter, and
> quarterly from there on, so that near term releases are visible.

​Oh, sure, but epic projects like which aren't committed deliverables (or
even scoped out) would be excluded from this scoping, and so would need
somewhere to be considered. These kinds of project are often some of the
most interesting to the community and inspire the most people, and (because
WMF isn't working on it) have the most potential for interested people to
build out a serious pitch for engineering/product/etc. needs.

Some random examples:

   - "Replace the ​Extension:Cite system with a structured data citation
   system",
   - "Support vertical languages like Mongolian for interface and editing",
   or
   - "Have an HTML-only MediaWiki mode where it doesn't use wikitext at all"

​J.
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, Editing