[teampractices] "Roadmap" project in Phabricator

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 21 01:54:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM, James Forrester
<jforrester at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> As a user who cares about a specific outcome in VisualEditor, I no longer
> have detailed "blocked because of Xyz" explanations around the outcome in
> which I'm interested.

So, let's say we anticipate we land auto-filled citations in
VisualEditor in March. We'd tag
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T62768 with "Roadmap" and move it to
"Features: March 2015" on the Roadmap workboard. Any user who's
interested in whether/why it's stalled could follow the "Blocked by"
dependencies and figure it out. Because all these tasks are where
people do their work, they would be likely to be an up-to-date
reflection of reality. What would we lose?

> As a Wikimedia user who cares about editing tools, I no longer have
> somewhere to keep track of bigger planned changes to editing things, and
> have to pick them out of other changes to e.g. Apps or Search which I don't
> care about.

Yeah -- I think having a rough definition as to how "big" a change has
to be to be on the roadmap is important to help folks not to get lost.
I agree more flexibility on how to configure the grid would help.

> Also, the VisualEditor roadmap explicitly doesn't use dates, as it cover
> speculative ideas of several person-decades worth of work that may never
> happen. I'm not sure where we'd put things like that, even if (per Gilles)
> we show a board based on quarters.

A longer term roadmap represents a best guess that may be revised. We
still have a quarterly business rhythm and will continually change our
mind about what's important or what's achievable. But if we have
speculative epics that we can reasonably add to July-September or
October-December, we would do so. This would also get rid of the
fiscal year crap almost by accident. ;-)

I'd suggest using month-to-month for the current quarter, and
quarterly from there on, so that near term releases are visible.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation