[teampractices] interesting read on the problems with KPIs

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 14 20:43:39 UTC 2015

Thanks for sharing that, Anne. I had seen it as well. I was hoping for a
good critique, but at best it seemed to be a rant about not misusing KPI's.
I would love to read an article covering the same ground, but with more
concrete examples of bad KPI's.

Hopefully we (as an org) are aiming for KPI's that measure actual end-user
value and impact ("outcomes") as opposed to measuring our own internal
amounts of work ("outputs"), or worse (e.g. "how much time an employee
spends in the bathroom").

Measuring stuff is hard. And numbers can be gamed. That doesn't make it
worthless, but healthy skepticism is needed.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation