[teampractices] Defining "Interrupt" work

Terence Gilbey tgilbey at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 5 20:47:14 UTC 2015

So I would say the buckets are about rat but I would certainly welcome some
feedback on how we make definitions that are good for engineering..

If I use my house analogy..

Bucket 1 is CORE - It is paying the mortgage, the property tax and copying
with HOA rules and local ordinance and building codes
Bucket 2 is Maintenance - Painting the house every 5 years, putting a new
roof on every 20 years, cutting the grace one a week.. All of this you can
postpone but typically there is a cost increase to not doing that you
eventually have to pay for later. EG it will take longer to get the lawn
back in shape if you let beth grass go to seed or the painting of a house
takes longer if you have to replace woodwork etc due to rot.
Bucket 2 - Investment / new projects - This is remodeling the bathroom..
highly optional but makes like easier and could improve the overall value
of the house..

Be interesting to get engineering analogy for this.. - Thoughts?

Interrupt work would, to me, mean "unplanned". Examples are.. a hail storm
that damages the roof.. a tree that falls over...

Does that help any?

Terence (Terry) Gilbey
Chief Operating Officer
Wikimedia Foundation