[teampractices] Defining "Interrupt" work

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 5 20:05:59 UTC 2015

I think I understood Terry's buckets to be:

   1. Keep the lights on and servers running, assuming nothing external
   impacts them.
   2. Respond to external events, such as security patches and library
   upgrades.
   3. Innovation.

I believe DStrine recently created an "Unplanned" tag in phabricator, which
certainly sounds related. In that case, I believe the definition was "Work
we added to this sprint after this sprint started." Which seems like an
entirely reasonable definition, for teams doing timeboxed iterations as in
Scrum.

I think my existing discomfort with the conversations so far about
"interrupt" work boils down to not knowing if it is "unplanned" work,
"externally triggered" work, or "not part of our long-term goals" work. Or
some combination of those.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach
Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Help us make it a reality.*