[teampractices] pull bugs into Mingle/Trello rather than push

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 23 02:07:52 UTC 2014

The Flow team set up Bingle[1] to pull all new bugs into Mingle. We've
found problems with this approach:

* It unbalances the sprint to continually see bugs appears in the "left"
lane that we keep shunting off.
* The truth is we won't get to most bugs in the current iteration, so the
Bugzilla comment "This is tracked in <project management tool>" in every
bug is misleading and distracting.
* By the time we work on the bug it's often renamed and improved in
bugzilla.

So we'd like to try doing bug triage outside <project management tool>, and
only copy a bug into <project management tool> when we decide we want to
tackle it in the current iteration.

For this to work well we want:
* A bugzilla query to find project bugs that are meaningfully updated since
the last bug triage.
* A good triage method in bugzilla.
* A way in bingle/bugello to nominate bugs to pull into <project management
tool>.

Thoughts? comments? Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/awjrichards/bingle
--