[teampractices] How deviantART organizes its work

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 14 00:08:46 UTC 2014

On 01/10/2014 04:34 PM, Shahyar Ghobadpour wrote:
> Things like Bugzilla and IRC were the de facto standards for
> open-source communities in the past. I think we're stuck in that
> mindset, and should be looking at more contemporary solutions. I would
> really like to discuss this with everyone, and see if we can
> reevaluate Phabricator for our needs this year. I think we could be
> working a lot more efficiently by switching to it.

I'm definitely in favor of switching to better FOSS tools, as long as
there's a clean migration path (at least for issue tracking; Gerrit
changes can take a long time to merge, so migrating them too is a bonus).

Having two places to discuss changes (the bug and Gerrit) can be annoying.

The architecture summit is a potential place to discuss this.  There is
already
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Overthrow_Bugzilla
which is part of
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/RFC_clusters#MediaWiki_management,