[teampractices] Triaging bugs and managing task backlog in Phabricator

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 3 05:03:42 UTC 2014

On 12/02/2014 04:49 PM, Bryan Davis wrote:
> We are using these columns today:
> * To Do
> * In Dev/Progress
> * Needs Review/Feedback
> * Done
> * Archive (hidden)
>
> Rather than create a new board for each iteration/sprint/whatever we
> are using the archive column as a storage area for things that have
> been completed in past iterations. After each retrospective (weekly
> meeting) somebody will move all of the items from the Done column into
> the Archive column to reset the board.

I have been wondering why people have a Done/Completed column in
Phabricator.  Phabricator, unlike Trello, has a Resolved concept built-in.

I take  it from this explanation that you go over completed tasks in
retrospective.  The Core Features team mainly uses retrospective as an
opportunity to discuss things that worked well/didn't work and how we
can improve our processes.  There is much less focus on individual
cards, though broad product areas (and how we did on them) are discussed.

For teams that work like this (including Core Features), I don't think
there is any need for a Done column (the default of showing only Open
tasks should be sufficient).

Matt Flaschen