[teampractices] Experimenting with Pivotal Tracker

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 15 03:51:07 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 03:48 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> This brings up a big issue with both FOSS and proprietary tools: how do
> we get our data out and migrate it if necessary?

Yes, with proprietary tools we're at the mercy of the vendor.  This is
particularly an issue with software as a service, since unless we have a
contractual guarantee, they can change the export rules at any time.

Some, but not all, open source projects have good export and import
tools.  With open source, we also always at least have the option of
writing the export code we need (at least if we host it ourselves).  I'm
not saying writing that code is easy.

Matt Flaschen