[teampractices] Scrum-y tools based on BZ (was Re: Scrumbu.gs)

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 6 03:35:45 UTC 2013

Going back to the original topic of this thread - extending Bugzilla
for PM - the scrumbu.gs developer has helpfully given me some good
feedback from their experience. I've invited him and other folks at
Mozilla to join the conversation here if they're interested, but to
recap:

1) Instead of Scrum, some teams at Mozilla use Kanban (less focus on
velocity, roles, rituals; more focus on just tracking ongoing work and
limiting work-in-progress). This is more comparable to the lightweight
workflow that e.g. the Mobile App teams and Growth teams at WMF are
currently using, though I'm not sure we've ever formally implemented
some aspects of Kanban on these teams like WIP limits and lead time
estimation - perhaps Steven or Tomasz can speak to that. My take is
that  Kanban is good for small teams and Scrum's benefits kick in on
larger, more complex projects.

Kanban is the kind of workflow that a tool like Trello is good for;
Mozilla likes Kanbanery (proprietary) and wrote a Firefox extension to
tie it into Bugzilla:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/kanbugger/

2) There's an intern project called Kanbanzilla that looks more like a
full-on Kanban board integrated with Bugzilla. I've asked if there's a
live setup somewhere, but here's the code if anyone wants to poke at
it:

https://github.com/mozilla/kanbanzilla

Cheers,
Erik