[teampractices] Scrum-y tools based on BZ (was Re: Scrumbu.gs)

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 4 23:15:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 00:50 -0500, James Forrester wrote:

> However, each and every time I use "WONTFIX" I expect to get reverted
> (in VisualEditor I'd guesstimate that 50% of WONTFIXes are REOPENED,
> generally within the day); each revert war takes ~ an hour of my time,
> over the ensuing weeks, until either they give up or I re-prioritise
> my time and just pretend that it's still marked as "WONTFIX". Not
> really that efficacious a use of my time.

The problem when setting WONTFIX is always that reporters and
"passionate" users expect an explanation (which takes time to write up
if there's no awesome and all-embracing documentation or usability
testing studies data publicly available already) that they might
disagree with.

This is an even bigger problem with design decisions.
I share the conclusions in [1] that UI and workflow of bug trackers do
not support discussing and iterating designs.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html has a section
called "No whining about decisions" which covers that problem.
Might be worth to get a similar version of that page also onto our
Bugzilla server.

andre

[1] Ko, Andrew J. and Chilana, Parmit K.: "Design, discussion, and
dissent in open bug reports". Available at
http://faculty.washington.edu/ajko/papers/Ko2011ContentiousBugReports.pdf

--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/